Wednesday 9 February 2011

Re-watching Shutter Island

I watched Shutter Island again on Monday, and it really is worth a second viewing. When I saw it at the cinema, I loved it anyway, but upon watching it again you pick up on clues that allow you to make up a whole different perception of the characters. Things that you may just bypass as non-instrumental the first time around, add evidence to a re-opened case.  

Watching this the first time, at the end I was sticking by the protagonist, entrusting his beliefs over any evidence other characters throw at him - defending his case at all cost. However re-watching the film certifies the protagonist a non-reliable narrator.

What  I find good about this film, is exactly what others didn't. They automatically assume that because a laid out conclusion is what they had already worked out isn't part of the illusion. Quoting people that claim it to be "Scorsese's Gothika" just establishes my point that they think the film is a clear cut Asylum thriller that we've all seen before. I'm afraid not, It some-what annoys me to hear people not understand the film as it gives me a feeling of disappointment for it. I won't add any spoilers but let me say this film will have you believe you know what is going to happen, but on further inspection and especially on a second viewing you will eventually build a case of doubt. 


The whole point is that nothing is as it seems, even the title Shutter Island is an anagram of Truth and Lies. Scorsese trademarks are all over the film, but lest not be confused with what his priority was. The book by Lehane was actually intended to be unfathomably confusing, as he has stated himself. For something for others who have seen this movie to take into account, do you really think the point was that you couldn't work out the ending? Or whether the ending was even correct at all? 



This film leaves you with questions, a lot more than can be said of other movies, so if you like that sort of thing, open your mind, and watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment